Editor’s note: Every week we ship an email newsletter featuring the region’s most exciting career opportunities. We’ve lovingly called it This Week in Jobs (aka TWIJ — “twidge.”). Below is this week’s edition. Here’s the last one we published; it’s meant to live in your inbox. Sign up for the newsletter here.
Frosty Meets the NIMBYs
It’s not even Thanksgiving and a homeowners’ association in Texas has already had it up to here with Christmas.
Frosty the Snowman, having missed the memo that it’s never polite to arrive early to a party, appeared in inflatable form on a local family’s front lawn earlier this month — reportedly prompting a letter from grumpy HOA members demanding that the debonair with the tall silk hat be removed or else. Claudia Simonis, who is eight months pregnant, said she’d decided to make an early welcome to Frosty and several inflatable reindeer pals before her hands were full with her own new arrival.
The HOA’s response: Humbug.
When you find yourself barking up the wrong tree — or worse, chased into the branches — you need a formidable hero to help get you out. Enter George Nemphos, lawyer and founding member of Baltimore-based Nemphos Braue Law. He came to the rescue of a pair of entrepreneurs whose venture had seen explosive growth — only to be trapped by a bad deal with investors. Now, thanks to his help, they’re moving forward with their next plan: Bark Social, an off-leash dog park in the DMV featuring a bar and coffee house. Read about the saga — and Nemphos’ furr-ocious legal help — here.
Did you already forget the anniversary? Last week marked one year since Amazon announced that it would build its second headquarters in northern Virginia. Since then, regional real estate prices have seen a bump, local universities have started expanding and scaling their degree programs, and a range of tech companies have relocated to NoVa. Technical.ly DC looks back at the past year and what’s ahead.
First up — curious what it’s like on the other side of this email? Technically Media (that’s us!) currently has two open positions: Marketing Analyst and Marketing and Partnerships Manager. Submit your application today, and maybe you could be the newest member of our team.
- Quorum, which builds software for public affairs, and has been repeatedly named one of the top startups to watch in D.C., is hiring an Account Executive.
- Nava is seeking an Experienced Software Engineer – Backend to work with small teams in building scalable infrastructure for the U.S. government.
- The Washington Post is hiring a Scrum Master to monitor scrum processes and scrum meetings.
- The ecommerce startup Whitebox is hiring a Sales Account Executive in Baltimore.
- Cortx, a fast-growing, profitable natural language processing startup in Baltimore, is seeking a Senior Full Stack Developer.
- 14 West in Baltimore is hiring a Qlik Developer.
- 14 West is also looking for a Senior Business Analyst.
- Amazon’s Worldwide Public Sector Sales team is looking for a VC/Startup Business Development Manager to work with the VC and startup community. Those interested in working more closely with WPSS’s government customers are especially encouraged to apply.
- Workbridge Associates, a startup in Reston helping improve customer service through big data tracking, is hiring a Devops Engineer.
- The solo founder of Wedcast, which seeks to make sharing wedding photos and videos easier, is looking for a partner with experience in managing startups or marketing apps to join as Business/Marketing Co-Founder.
- LoadSpring, a leading solutions provider for customers looking to move to the cloud, is hiring a Remote Software Engineer.
- Contrast Security, the world’s leading provider of security technology that enables software applications to protect themselves against cyber attacks, is seeking a Remote Software Engineer Serverless Platform.
- Mattress retailer Tuft & Needle is looking for a Remote Full Stack Developer Supply Chain ERP.
It’s not clear when exactly Frosty will be welcomed by his neighbors. In the meantime, TWIJ suggests that Claudia Simonis and her newborn double down with a manger.
See you next week.-30-
On the Market: Procurated wants to add 5 members to its team with these open positions
Power Moves: Foundation Direct nabs another Google alum to lead as COO
This Week in Jobs: Going Up Edition
Introducing ‘Off the Sidelines,’ a new podcast series about startup investing
Competition or opportunity: Here’s how Virginia tech execs feel about Amazon HQ2 coming to NoVa
This Week in Jobs: Bei Bei Goes Home Edition
On the Market: Surefire Local is looking for a partner marketing director
Verizon is looking for the brightest ideas on how to use its 5G technology
Sign-up for daily news updates from Technical.ly Dc