Editor’s note: Every week we ship an email newsletter featuring the region’s most exciting career opportunities. We’ve lovingly called it This Week in Jobs (aka TWIJ — “twidge.”). Below is this week’s edition. Here’s the last one we published; it’s meant to live in your inbox. Sign up for the newsletter here.
Do it for the ‘gram
If you haven’t Insta’d your brunch or boomeranged your friends, has it really happened?
Now you can burnish your influencer cred and feed your followers at Refinery29’s “Instagrammable Fun House” — if that’s something that sounds like fun to you — at the D.C. Armory. Take selfies beneath the “Dream Doorways” and make duck faces in “The Art Park” while popping that saturation. Dubbed “29Rooms: Expand Your Reality,” the sort of thing Shia LaBoeuf might dream up as creative director, the installation runs through Oct. 27.
If you subscribe to TWIJ, you’ve no doubt seen plenty of listings for SmartLogic. From a lush office space with plenty of light and the requisite exercise ball, the software company in the Canton neighborhood of Baltimore builds custom web and mobile applications for companies ranging from scrappy tech startups to Fortune 500 blue-chips. Now it’s looking to double the size of its team with independent, self-directed types who live and breathe computer science. If that sounds like you, read more here.
Even when you seemingly do everything right, something can go wrong. Take it from Southwest Airlines: the carrier suffered a cataclysmic technological problem that killed off its website and key systems for close to 12 hours. The issue forced mass cancellations of flights that stranded thousands of (understandably) irate passengers. Chris Britton, COO of RockDove Solutions, takes a look at creating a crisis plan, and shares his tips for how entrepreneurs in the digital age can prepare for the worst.
- Nava, which builds software for government, is hiring a VP of Engineering. The position is also available in NYC and San Francisco.
- Capital One is hiring a Senior Associate for Data Analytics for its wealth management software firm, United Income.
- The Washington Post is seeking a Digital Analyst for Audience Development and Analytics to help drive strategic and operational decision-making.
- Do you even Qlik? 14 West is hiring for a trio of Qlik positions in Baltimore: a Qlik Developer, a Lead Qlik Developer and — get this — a Senior Qlik Developer.
- If Qlik’s not your thing, Asymmetrik in Annapolis Junction is hiring a Front-End Developer.
- Healthcare compliance analytics platform Protenus is looking for a Content Marketing Manager.
- Amida Technology Solutions, which focuses on solutions to data interoperability, data utility and data security, is seeking a Cyber Security Engineer in Chantilly.
- Polarity, which is building human memory augmentation software, is hiring a C++ Engineer and an Ember.js Developer in Arlington. The position is also available for remote work.
- Ozmo, which builds software designed to simplify the support experience for consumers and support agents, is looking for a Product Designer in Blacksburg.
- vandePoel Productions is hiring a Remote Laravel Developer to help develop, code and modify web-based applications from layout to function.
- Trust Soda (who wouldn’t?) is looking for a Remote Senior Golang Developer.
- If the idea of “building artificial intelligence super-powered efficiency software” sounds cool to you, but you prefer the marketing side of things, x.ai is hiring a Remote WordPress Developer to build a marketing site for the company.
Reminder for all of you ambitious Instagrammers: Daylight’s the trick for snapping the perfect pic of your avocado toast and the golden hour is ideal for sunrises and sunsets. Just try not to take a selfie in the middle of a job interview.
See you next week.-30-
This Week in Jobs DMV: Washington Sentinels Edition
Amazon’s second annual Career Day is going virtual on Sept. 16
Sign-up for daily news updates from Technical.ly Dc