Editor’s note: Every week we ship an email newsletter featuring the region’s most exciting career opportunities. We’ve lovingly called it This Week in Jobs (aka TWIJ — “twidge.”). Below is this week’s edition. Here’s the last one we published; it’s meant to live in your inbox. Sign up for the newsletter here.
Let Them Eat Bagels
Per Se and the French Laundry can take a hike: A humble bagel joint in D.C. landed on Eater’s list of the best new restaurants in America. Call Your Mother — and you can be sure the owners and staff called theirs — was crowned alongside trendy small-plate bistros and Euro-themed wine-bars, buoyed by classic bagel sandwich combos, fresh black-and-whites and babka and apparently “the city’s best latke.”
The weekend wait is already often an hour long — and sure to get longer with the latest award. Spend your time in line browsing the job listings before getting your schmear on:
Start practicing that elevator pitch: Black Girl Ventures, an event series founded by D.C. entrepreneur Shelly Bell as “part-pitch competition, part-crowdfunding campaign,” is returning home for its first pitch bootcamp in the District. The two-day workshop runs from Aug. 10 to 11 at the Corcoran School of the Arts & Design at The George Washington University. Attendees will create a pitch deck, practice pitching, learn how to apply for pitch competitions and gain access to a network of founders and investors.
And listen up, Marines: Northern Virginia Community College is rolling out courses this fall in data intelligence, cloud computing, data analytics, machine learning and artificial intelligence. The courses are being formed in partnership with Amazon Web Services, and though the courses are being introduced for the Marines Corps, you don’t need to be wearing green to enroll: Civilians can sign up for the classes, too.
- Looking to break in? Factory Four is hiring an entry-level Client Service Analyst.
- For all you “non-traditional” JDs: Process Street is hiring a People & Operations Manager with a law degree.
- At the intersection of healthcare and software, Hybrent is hiring a Project Manager to help launch its platform in the long-term care market. It’s seeking five-plus years experience, bonus if you’ve got expertise in long-term care.
- And The Washington Post is seeking a Back End Developer/Engineer for its Arc publishing platform. If you understand this sentence from the listing — “The lambda will denormalize multiple microservice objects into a single object canonically saved to Mongo and cached from Elasticsearch” — this may be the position for you.
- 14 West, which was named one of Baltimore’s Top Workplaces in The Baltimore Sun, is seeking a Customer Success Associate in Baltimore. The position blends data and marketing.
- SmartLogic, a web and mobile product development consultancy, is looking for a Developer in Baltimore.
- Asymmetrik is hiring a Front-End Developer in Annapolis Junction.
- TOMIA is seeking a Lead Production Engineer in Tysons.
- Do it for the gainz: Legion Athletics, which makes sports supplements, is hiring a Director of Inventory & Production in Vienna to monitor, organize and forecast the company’s inventory.
- The software company Ozmo is looking for a Product Designer in Blacksburg.
- The Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy is hiring a Senior Software Engineer (Full Stack) for a role it’s calling Lead Tax Model Platform Developer.
- BlueModus is hiring a Senior Web Developer.
- And Critical Mass is seeking a Front End Developer.
Meetups are a great way to grow your network and learn new skills. Be sure to regularly check meetup.com to see what new groups and events are around. Sign up for ones that will help you grow your knowledge in areas that will help you become a better candidate, like learning Angular or React. There are lots of these groups out there, and many will also be at Super Meetup, happening Aug. 8 in Baltimore, and August 15 in D.C. Come out and connect with them IRL!
That’s all for this week! Good luck on the job hunt!-30-
This Week in Jobs: Going Up Edition
This Week in Jobs: Thanksgiving Prep Edition
This Week in Jobs: Holiday Spirit Edition
Introducing ‘Off the Sidelines,’ a new podcast series about startup investing
This Week in Jobs: Bei Bei Goes Home Edition
On the Market: Surefire Local is looking for a partner marketing director
Power Moves: New C-suite hires for CUCollaborate, 2U, Inky Technology
Verizon is looking for the brightest ideas on how to use its 5G technology
Sign-up for daily news updates from Technical.ly Dc