Editor’s note: Every week we ship an email newsletter featuring the region’s most exciting career opportunities. We’ve lovingly called it This Week in Jobs (aka TWIJ — “twidge.”). Below is this week’s edition. Here’s the last one we published; it’s meant to live in your inbox. Sign up for the newsletter here.
Happy Father’s Day
We have to start the week shouting out to all the fathers and father figures! Father’s Day is a time to recognize all the great fatherly moments while buying them ties, socks and other things that may or may not be what he actually wants. It’s also the perfect weekend to fire up those grills and let Dad claim he has the best BBQ in all the land. If he’s all talk, then here is a list of the D.C. area’s best BBQ joints.
To all the new and expectant dads: Paternity leave is becoming a major factor in company perks, especially the tech industry. Here is a list of the top companies with the best paternity leave policies. Twitter is coming in strong in the top five, and hey, it currently has an opening in the D.C. area for a Quantitative User Researcher.
D.C.-based WhyHotel is continuing to expand to Houston and the West Coast, but still has momentum here in the city. The hospitality startup has some new funding and even newer jobs. We compiled a roundup of its openings, which cover the entire DMV area (bonus — this article also contains multiple jobs from other companies, so take notes).
We’re seeing some serious movin’ and shakin’ going on within our tech community, and our latest Power Moves columns lay out some of the biggest hires at local companies. Check out both the D.C. and Baltimore editions. These are handy articles to see which companies are growing and who’s scoring some major titles.
If you’re interested in which companies are expanding through acquisitions, here is a roundup of M&A happenings in our area. One to note is Bethesda-based Driving Mobile Innovation’s acquisition of Pragiti. Check out these jobs from DMI, including this cool opening for a SAS Developer.
- We got hype when we saw the word billion, but realized it was pertaining to user load tests and not the salary. Either way, this is an exciting Infrastructure Engineer position with Nava that you should check out.
- Back-end developers with experience in Node.js and Kafka should apply to this Developer role at The Washington Post.
- Give Campus is on the lookout for an experienced Full Stack Engineer with expertise in Ruby/Ruby on Rails.
- 14 West has an opening for an experienced Application Security Engineer with serious chops in e-commerce and business applications.
- If your interests are more around data and marketing, check out 14 West’s opportunity for a Customer Success Associate.
- Protenus is hiring an experienced Front End Engineer to join its team. Extra points if you have a portfolio of work to show off.
- Tomia is looking for an experienced Lead Production Engineer to lead its operations team.
- BAE Systems is hiring an experienced Software Engineering Lead to manage a team within its cyber technology product line.
- Here is a cool opening for a media-focused Technical Product Owner at Excelacom.
- In Marketing We Trust is an Australian-based company looking for a Sales Assistant with experience in social media campaigns to join its team.
- Love teaching? Thinkful is looking for a Web Development Instructor to teach night/weekend courses online.
- Whitespectre has an opening for a Lead iOS Engineer to join its remote team (work hours are 11am – 8pm Central European Time)
Job fairs are not only great opportunities to connect with several potential employers at once — they’re also a chance to help yourself stand out by showcasing your soft skills. Many companies now prioritize being a personality and culture fit over specific technical knowledge, and chatting face-to-face is the best way to prove you’ve got the right attitude.
One of America’s Founding Fathers, George Washington, once said that “worry is the interest paid by those who borrow trouble.” We hope you have a worry- and trouble-free week, and be sure to visit our jobs page anytime for the latest and greatest postings in the area. Until next time, stay winning!-30-
This Week in Jobs: Now in Euros
This Week in Jobs: Take an innovacation
ICX Media gets new CEO and raises $6.6M in funding
Verizon is looking for the brightest ideas on how to use its 5G technology
On the Market: D.C.-based User1st has 6 tech job openings
Power Moves: Arcadia Power promotes first COO, Camber Creek taps Mitchell Schear
This Week in Jobs: Free money and free beer edition
Escape the August heat with cool AI tech
Sign-up for daily news updates from Technical.ly Dc