The Northern Virginia Technology Council hosted its inaugural Data Center Leadership Awards on April 24 as a result of the growth of the data center industry in the region.
The ticketed event took place at the Stone Tower Winery and was sponsored by various organizations including Amazon Web Services, Google, Loudoun County Virginia Economic Development, Microsoft and Facebook. The event included a fireside chat featuring Virginia Speaker of the House Kirk Cox (R-Colonial Heights), senior Virginia Senator Janet Howell (D-Fairfax), Virginia Economic Development Partnership (VEDP) President and CEO Stephen Moret and Virginia Senator Frank Ruff (R-Mecklenburg), chair of the Senate General Laws and Technology Committee.
— NVTC (@NoVaTechCouncil) April 24, 2019
The council live tweeted the award ceremony where a handful of data center professionals were recognized in specific categories for their work. Here are the inaugural winners:
- Data Center Community Champion: Erich Sanchack of Digital Realty
- Data Center Construction Project Award: Jon Duffey, Bob Shawver, Chris Jewell, Nick Cunningham and Mark Rainey of HITT
- Data Center Industry Icon: Bill Stein of Digital Realty
- Data Center Sustainable Champion: Dave Smith of Microsoft
- Trailblazer Award: Buddy Rizer of the Loudoun County Department of Economic Development and James Leach of RagingWire Data Centers
For the Data Center Legislative Champion Award, the judges chose to recognize a class of honorees that includes Virginia State Senator Ryan McDougle, Virginia Delegate Tim Hugo and the Prince William Board of County Supervisors’ Jeanine Lawson and Marty Nohe.
Reston data company X-Mode talked to CNN about tracking those spring breakers
What Zentail’s data shows about pandemic price gouging on Amazon
Aligned Energy has entered phase two of its Ashburn data center campus expansion
Reston-based SyncDog is partnering with SecureAge on mobile security tech
Sign-up for daily news updates from Technical.ly Dc