(Photo by James Cullum)
The best and brightest of #dctech got together for a celebration Wednesday night, as the winners of the 2017 Technical.ly DC Awards were unveiled.
The community turned out at 1776 for a party in partnership with General Assembly. The night provides a chance to recognize eye-catching work over the last year, and get a look at who the community is watching.
After a round of nominations, the Technical.ly audience voted on award winners for the evening. Each winner took home an award created by Gensler.
And the winners are…
Best Web/Mobile Product of the Year
- Nominate Her. Tech Lady Hackathon co-organizer Jessica Garson created a collaborative list of awards that women in the D.C. tech community could get nominated for.
Entrepreneur of 2017
- Shelly Bell, the founder of Black Girl Vision and the “Boss Up” pitch competition, which gives the crowd that turns out to an event a chance to invest directly in the winner’s business.
Technologist of the Year
- Taylor Poindexter, a cofounder of the Black Code Collective. The developer shared credit with her collaborators in the group for the win.
I wanted to reemphasize that while I was the figure head tonight, BCC wouldn’t be possible without my amazing cofounders Lougenia, Malick, Eman, and Stephon 💜🙌🏾 pic.twitter.com/pu2Bqk7yzV
— Taylor Poindexter (@That_Poindexter) December 7, 2017
Design/Dev Firm of the Year
- Spoke, The Noma-based creative agency brought the team out for the night.
Thank you for voting! pic.twitter.com/fiOk8bmsYj
— Sam C. Bays (@samcbays) December 7, 2017
Tech Mission Org of the Year
- Women Who Code DC, the local chapter of the nonprofit inspiring women to get into technology careers.
— Lauren Jacobson (@Lauren_CJay) December 7, 2017
Best New Collaborative Workspace
Tech Startup of the Year
- Hatch, the D.C. startup empowering companies to launch apps that meet their needs. Cofounder Amelia Friedman said the company is continuing 2017 growth with more hiring.
Growth Tech Company of the Year
- MPower Financing, the Dupont Circle student loan company that launched a $100M debt round and is expanding nationwide.
At Introduced’s MESSAGE room, we’ll be talking digital content, hiring and (!) Gritty
Here’s who won at GW’s 2019 New Venture Competition
Humans of NET/WORK: 5 people we met at our annual tech jobs fair in DC
Building a data acquisition system? Don’t make this mistake
4 simple tips for navigating NET/WORK DC
Here’s the data behind the 70+ jobs available at NET/WORK DC
Meet these 11 companies hiring tech talent at NET/WORK DC on March 27
This fast-growing SaaS company aims to be a force for change in the energy industry
Sign-up for daily news updates from Technical.ly Dc