(Photo by James Cullum)
The best and brightest of #dctech got together for a celebration Wednesday night, as the winners of the 2017 Technical.ly DC Awards were unveiled.
The community turned out at 1776 for a party in partnership with General Assembly. The night provides a chance to recognize eye-catching work over the last year, and get a look at who the community is watching.
After a round of nominations, the Technical.ly audience voted on award winners for the evening. Each winner took home an award created by Gensler.
And the winners are…
Best Web/Mobile Product of the Year
- Nominate Her. Tech Lady Hackathon co-organizer Jessica Garson created a collaborative list of awards that women in the D.C. tech community could get nominated for.
Entrepreneur of 2017
- Shelly Bell, the founder of Black Girl Vision and the “Boss Up” pitch competition, which gives the crowd that turns out to an event a chance to invest directly in the winner’s business.
Technologist of the Year
- Taylor Poindexter, a cofounder of the Black Code Collective. The developer shared credit with her collaborators in the group for the win.
I wanted to reemphasize that while I was the figure head tonight, BCC wouldn’t be possible without my amazing cofounders Lougenia, Malick, Eman, and Stephon 💜🙌🏾 pic.twitter.com/pu2Bqk7yzV
— Taylor Poindexter (@That_Poindexter) December 7, 2017
Design/Dev Firm of the Year
- Spoke, The Noma-based creative agency brought the team out for the night.
Thank you for voting! pic.twitter.com/fiOk8bmsYj
— Sam C. Bays (@samcbays) December 7, 2017
Tech Mission Org of the Year
- Women Who Code DC, the local chapter of the nonprofit inspiring women to get into technology careers.
— Lauren Jacobson (@Lauren_CJay) December 7, 2017
Best New Collaborative Workspace
Tech Startup of the Year
- Hatch, the D.C. startup empowering companies to launch apps that meet their needs. Cofounder Amelia Friedman said the company is continuing 2017 growth with more hiring.
Growth Tech Company of the Year
- MPower Financing, the Dupont Circle student loan company that launched a $100M debt round and is expanding nationwide.
WeDC Futures Forum defined a private-public vision for the connected DMV
People, tools and process: How a fully remote team works
At Introduced’s MESSAGE room, we’ll be talking digital content, hiring and (!) Gritty
Verizon is looking for the brightest ideas on how to use its 5G technology
Humans of NET/WORK: 5 people we met at our annual tech jobs fair in DC
3 companies you need to meet today at Technical.ly’s NET/WORK DC jobs fair
4 simple tips for navigating NET/WORK DC
Escape the August heat with cool AI tech
Sign-up for daily news updates from Technical.ly Dc