(Photo by Tajha Chappellet-Lanier)
The Georgetown-based Halcyon Incubator unveiled its cohort number eight, which will start in spring 2018.
“These are the people with the power to tackle 21st century challenges today,” the announcement reads. “Coming Spring 2018, out-of-the-box ideas from an integrated pill bottle that monitors and screens for signs of opioid abuse, to a platform allowing communities to connect with critical conservation projects.”
The 11 Halcyon Fellows will live and work in the historic Halcyon House for five months, with a post-residency of 13 months where they can continue to use Halcyon’s resources.
Here’s who is coming to D.C.:
- Conserve With Us is a platform that promotes land trust preservation and connects people with conservation projects around the country. Cofounders Dylan Lewis and Ian Rinehart will participate in the program.
- EnrichHER is a platform that provides funding opportunities for women-led businesses. Founder and CEO Dr. Roshawnna Novellus will join Halcyon.
- Entrada: Employer Sponsored Learning is an employer-sponsored language program that allows service industry staff to learn English as they work. Founder and CEO Erin Janklow will participate in the program.
- Helpusgreen founder Ankit Agarwal wants to preserve the River Ganges by flowercycling the waste from temples and mosques in India and Bangladesh. Agarwal will be accompanied by finance and regulations officer Ridhima Modi.
- JDoe is an anonymous platform for reporting sexual misconduct. It will be represented at Halcyon by founder and CEO Ryan Soscia.
- Localized Ronit Avni is bringing to Halcyon a platform that connects college students and recent grads to professionals around the world to offer career advice in their native languages.
- Pilleve is a smart pill bottle that monitors and screens for signs of opioid abuse and addiction using real time data and sensory technology. Cofounder and CEO Yossuf Albanawi and cofounder and CTO Gautam Chebrolu will attend Halcyon.
- Weird Enough Productions founder and CEO Tony Weaver, Jr., will fine tune his program to combat misrepresentation of minority groups by teaching middle school students media literacy with comic books, memes and real world case studies.
1776 is opening an incubator location in North Bethesda this winter
1776 is shutting down its Crystal City campus and bringing its DC location back
Here’s a look at Halcyon Incubator’s latest cohort of early-stage social entrepreneurs
Building a data acquisition system? Don’t make this mistake
This military spouse launched a virtual executive assistant service
KnoNap took home the top prize at HERImpact DC’s first Social Enterprise Pitch Competition
Aerial Applications selected for Verizon’s 5G First Responder Lab
This fast-growing SaaS company aims to be a force for change in the energy industry
Sign-up for daily news updates from Technical.ly Dc