Uscreen is helping e-learning startups do video right - Technical.ly DC

Business

May 2, 2016 12:12 pm

Uscreen is helping e-learning startups do video right

From swim schools to dog training, the D.C. startup offers the tech chops to make video streaming make sense for smaller businesses.
An example of Uscreen’s streaming platform.

An example of Uscreen's streaming platform.

(Courtesy image)

Call it the “Netflix for your business.”

Uscreen is a D.C.-based startup that offers customizable video-streaming services for small and large businesses across the country.

Originally, the startup’s business model revolved around working with companies that were selling DVDs, but as streaming took over the internet, Uscreen President Pejman Taei realized that the company needed to change course. At the time, Taei was working with the founder of a swimming school, Total Immersion Academy, who wanted to be able to offer his consumers instructional videos via subscription.

Uscreen library. (Courtesy image)

Uscreen library. (Courtesy image)

“He said, ‘I want to package this into a subscription for $49 a month,’ and then a lightbulb went off,” said Taei. “We took the idea further by allowing people to launch their own Netflix with any kind of content.”

As of now, about 60 percent of Uscreen’s 300 partner companies are in the e-learning industry. The other 40 percent are entertainment or film companies.

Some of Uscreen’s major customers include Tawzer Dog — a company that streams educational videos for dog training — and Films of Norway, which sells films to Norwegian immigrants in the U.S.

“One thing that all of these companies do have in common is that 80 percent want to sell subscriptions and monetize on a monthly or yearly basis,” said Taei.

Advertisement

That’s where Uscreen comes in.

The company offers subscription streaming, but it also provides customers with detailed analytics on popular videos and the location of viewers.

In March 2016 Uscreen registered 1 million monthly views, according to Taei, who attended the University of Maryland. He hopes to bring live-streaming to the platform in the coming months.

“Someone might want to teach something on a webinar through a live-stream so we are adding a component [like that],” said Taei, who says about 20 percent of his customers have already requested this feature.

You must appreciate accurate, relevant and productive community journalism.  Support this sort of work from professional reporters with seasoned editors.  Become a Technical.ly member for $12 per month -30-
CONTRIBUTE TO THE
JOURNALISM FUND

Already a contributor? Sign in here
Connect with companies from the Technical.ly community
New call-to-action

Advertisement

Blackboard is partnering with Amazon’s Alexa to launch a new integration

Byte Back is partnering with a leading robotics process automation company

Blackboard is extending its partnership with the United States Army

SPONSORED

DC

Verizon is looking for the brightest ideas on how to use its 5G technology

Philadelphia

Vistar Media

Sr. Software Engineer

Apply Now

Philadelphia

Vistar Media

Front End Engineer

Apply Now

Washington, D.C.

The Washington Post

Senior Full Stack Software Engineer

Apply Now

Rockville-based edfintech startup Equiday acquired by Allovue

2U connects new partnerships with LinkedIn, Northwestern University

Blackboard is moving its global HQ from the District to NoVa this year

SPONSORED

DC

Escape the August heat with cool AI tech

Philadelphia, PA - Center City

Odessa

Business Architect

Apply Now

Washington D.C., District of Columbia, United States

Microsoft

Cloud Solution Architect (CSA) Manager

Apply Now

Washington, District of Columbia

Fannie Mae

Business Analyst III

Apply Now

Sign-up for daily news updates from Technical.ly Dc

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!