Waterfront development projects, a beloved local radio station and a digital agency’s leaders were among those the DC Chamber of Commerce recently announced as winners of its annual Chamber’s Choice Awards.
These and other awardees will be officially recognized at the “Transformation. Innovation” gala, which the economic booster organization will host on Nov. 11 at the Washington Hilton Hotel.
“The Chamber is excited to celebrate local trailblazers with the Chamber’s Choice Awards at our annual Gala,” said Angela Franco, president and CEO of the chamber, in a statement. “We will celebrate individuals and companies who have found innovative solutions to issues and are making an impact to create a more cohesive community in the District.”
The recurring awards honor individuals and businesses demonstrating high professional excellence, vision and dedication in the DC business community. Alongside the awardees listed below, the chamber is also honoring Corey Griffin, the CEO of Global Government and Industry Partners, for outstanding leadership in business recovery. It will also be announcing the Chairman’s Choice Award during next month’s gala.
“On behalf of the Chamber, I would like to congratulate our awardees for their leadership in bringing transformation and innovation to their work and commitment to the greater community,” said Franco.
Here are this year’s winners:
- Business of the Year: Hoffman-Madison Waterfront and The Wharf
- According to the chamber, the development of the Wharf is a “model for public-private partnership” and the largest planned unit development in DC’s history, as well as a premiere destination for the district.
- Business Leaders of the Year: Anthony Shop and Thomas Sanchez, Social Driver
- Social Driver is a digital agency offering social media, website creation and marketing services for corporations and nonprofits.
- Economic Impact Award: Wanda Durant
- Durant is a local philanthropist focusing on mentorship and scholarships for underserved students and young people.
- Community Impact Award: WPFW 89.3 FM Radio
- Offering both local public affairs and music programs, the chamber described WPFW as the most diverse radio station in the DMV and noted its outreach to returning citizens and those living east of the river.
- Veteran Impact Award: JMA Solutions
- DC’s JMA Solutions is a woman and veteran-owned consulting firm for veteran recruitment and employment.