(Photo by Tyler Woods)
All day today the Downtown Brooklyn Partnership will host the 2016 Make It in Brooklyn Innovation Summit, a day of talks, panels and networking, capped off by an evening pitch competition emceed by our beloved editor-in-chief, Zack Seward.
The full day’s agenda includes a panel discussion on real estate development in Brooklyn, food from local Brooklyn companies, a keynote by VaynerMedia’s Claude Silver on “The Art of the Hustle” and an afternoon panel on raising money for your company with experts from the venture capital world.
The evening pitch competition starts at 6 p.m. and features:
- Smallhold — A subscription-based commercial grow unit for restaurants and grocery stores.
- Brooklyn Delhi — Maker of small-batch achaar (pronounced uh-char), aka “Indian pickle,” a relish made from vegetables and fruits, chilies, spices and oil.
- Svrround — A startup that offers cloud-based solutions to build and deploy social live 360 experiences. Svrround offers scalable content solutions for media companies looking for interactive brand experiences, streamed performances, or regular live 360 shows.
- KaChing — A financial learning tool for kids that helps kids set and meet savings goals and invest their own money into the stock market.
- JustFix — An online record of building violation and resources to address housing issues.
The panel judges will be Charlie O’Donnell, founder and principal of Brooklyn’s top venture capital firm, Brooklyn Bridge Ventures; Jay Reno, who won a previous Make It in BK pitch competition with his company, Happy, which was recently acquired; Joana Vicente, the director of the Made in NY Media Center; Steve Kuyan of NYU Tandon School of Engineering; and DK Smith, a marketing and branding consultant.
The day starts at 10 a.m. at City Point, 1 DeKalb Ave., in Brooklyn. Get to it.