(Photo by Flickr user Richie S, used under Creative Commons license)
Believe it or not, there was a time when the word “geek” was a pretty serious insult.
In the early ’90s, when shows like Saved by the Bell were cool and the popular kids wore jeans with elastic waistbands, you did not want to be the “geeky,” Screech-like character.
But times have changed (for the better), and the word “geek” is now associated with intelligence, innovation and generally good times. In Philly, they even have Geek Awards.
Here in Brooklyn, Geek Chic: Wearable Tech and Cosplay is the latest edition of BRIC’s Stoop Series, in which BRIC highlights fascinating projects from people and companies based in Brooklyn. The event is this Tuesday, Oct. 6, from 7-9 p.m.
Rose Crichton is an associate director with BRIC and one of the event’s organizers. She said wearable tech and cosplay is a perfect topic for BRIC’s audience.
“The Stoop Series showcases new programming that intersects different disciplines,” Crichton said. “Wearable tech intersects science, art and technology, and we think that’s something great. It’s something we’ve never done before, and we’re excited to explore the possibilities.”
BRIC is encouraging attendees to come in their favorite cosplay style for the roundtable discussion, which features game designers, writers and one of New York’s well-known cosplayers, Chloe Sofia H., who’s also known as LadyKoopaa.
Here’s a list of the panelists and presenters with a quick bio on each.
- Kaho Abe (presenter and panel moderator) is a game designer and media artist based in NYC, interested in improving social and personal experiences through the use of technology, fashion and games.
- Dr. Kate Sicchio (presenter and panelist) works at the interface of technology and choreography. Her work includes performances, installations, web and video projects.
- Chloe Sofia H. (presenter and panelist) is a local NYC cosplayer who frequently attends east coast conventions as well as local cosplay and video game events/parties. Check out her Instagram feed to get a glimpse of her elaborate style.
- Heidi Boisvert (panelist and tech demonstration) is a new media artist, creative technologist and writer. She founded and serves as the CEO and Creative Director of the futurePerfect lab. She will be doing a demo of xth.io, which she cofounded.
- Shoshana Kessock (panelist) is a writer and game designer based in Brooklyn. She is also the creator of Phoenix Outlaw Productions, a game production company and organizer of the Living Games Conference, the first academic conference on live-action games in the U.S.
3 reasons why Ethereal NY is more than a blockchain conference
Algorave heads to Eyebeam *expanding galaxy brain*
3 ways blockchain technology could revolutionize the law
The week’s best Brooklyn tech events: Feb. 26–March 2
Sign-up for daily news updates from Technical.ly Brooklyn