(Photo by Flickr user Chris Ford, used under a Creative Commons license)
We’re trying something different here. To celebrate one year since Technical.ly Brooklyn launched, you can help write the story. Using Brooklyn-based Genius (formerly RapGenius), you, dear reader, can annotate this essay with any context or thoughts about the borough’s technology community. Make your annotations using Genius here.
Here’s a look at some of the broader trends we’ve covered in our first year:
- We’ve followed groups that work on digital divide challenges, like the Digital Stewards in Red Hook.
- We’ve seen people from around the world choose Brooklyn as a base to build, like a wave of French entrepreneurs.
- We’ve toured emerging tech business hubs, like 20 Jay Street in Dumbo.
- We’ve shared strange art from tech-inspired makers and artists, like the Robotic Church.
- We’ve reported on how the tech sector’s growth is challenging old ideas of gentrification.
- We’ve watched young startups grow, like Susty Party winning over ‘Shark Tank’ investors.
- We’ve seen a new challenge to what the Brooklyn tech corridor looks like, after Kickstarter and Livestream joined Brooklyn.
- We’ve seen how the borough is facing challenges retaining its up-and-coming tech firms.
Over the next year and beyond, we’ll continue to unearth stories from the Brooklyn tech narrative — while finding new ways to connect and convene Brooklyn’s technology community.
5 pitches from the Made in NY Media Center program turning creatives into founders
Funding news about Co-Star Astrology Society
Blockchain journalism startup Sludge hires 3 veteran reporters
You can win up to $360,000 at the WeWork Creator Awards
Gawker alums’ bid for the domain failed. Now Mike Cernovich wants to buy the site
Cool talk alert: How the media can use blockchain technology to maybe save itself
11 university startups accepted into NYC Media Lab Combine accelerator
Explore how diverse teams build dynamic products with Dev Bootcamp
Sign-up for daily news updates from Technical.ly Brooklyn