(Gif via Giphy.com)
Editor’s note: Every week we ship an email newsletter featuring the region’s most exciting career opportunities. We’ve lovingly called it This Week in Jobs (aka TWIJ — “twidge.”). Below is this week’s edition; it’s meant to live in your inbox. Sign up for the newsletter here.
Brittle Me This
This sugar rush was more like a marathon: After nearly a decade of selling sought-after candy brittle, Natasha Wainwright is opening a brick-and-mortar store in Hamilton.
The store sells 40 of its popular brittle varieties — “from pumpkin spice to banana split,” Baltimore Magazine reports. It’s also the only — and, before too long, hopefully only the first — woman- and Black-owned commercial kitchen in Baltimore.
After you finish those resumes or cover letters, this sounds like just the spot for a sweet reward.
This one’s for the scribes: Technical.ly DC is hiring a Lead Reporter (as in leading, not leaden), to cover the tech scene in the DMV. You’ll be following the major players who make the region’s tech economy tick, the startup founders building the big companies of tomorrow, how local technologists can advance their careers and the best workplaces to hire them, and much more.
Maryland is set to become the first state in the nation to tax digital advertising. Funds from the new tax regime will go toward the state’s education coffers. Here are four things to watch to learn how the tax may affect your business.
Baltimore is one of the largest cities in the country, yet nearly half of the city’s residents still live without high-speed internet. Johns Hopkins University calculated what it will take to close this digital divide — and finally deliver tech equity to hundreds of thousands of underserved residents.
- Morning Consult is hiring a Scrum Master. Technical.ly bonus points if you ask if the position comes with a master’s staff and sash.
- Great Minds is seeking a Software Engineer.
- Guidehouse is looking for a Technical Writer.
- The Washington Post is hiring a Product Analyst, Core User Experience.
- The Baltimore City Office of Information & Technology is seeking a Technical Writer.
- The consumer products startup ToMo Electronics & Design in Baltimore is looking for a Lead Electronics/Electrical Engineer.
- The good people at Hungry Harvest in Baltimore are hiring a UI/UX Lead.
- SmartLogic in Baltimore is seeking a Senior Project Manager.
- The news startup Axios in Arlington is hiring a Data Engineer.
- Axios is also seeking a Full-Stack Engineer.
- ManTech in Arlington is looking for a Scrum Master/Agile Coach. Let us know if the coach position comes with a whistle.
- The Springboard Collaborative in Philadelphia, which is helping low-income parents teach at home, is hiring a Customer Support Coordinator.
- The digital consulting firm Restless Labs is seeking a Quality Assurance Analyst/Engineer.
- Azavea, building geospatial software aimed at addressing some of the biggest challenges facing the planet, is looking for a User Experience Designer.
Brittle, candy, Baby Ruth bars — ah, yes, Babe Ruth. The Baltimore Ruth Birthplace and Museum is hosting a three-day online celebration of Maryland’s sports heritage, from Feb. 23 to 25. Here’s hoping your job applications knock it out of the park.
Good luck out there on the job hunt!-30-
Power Moves: TEDCO has a new chief investment officer
This Week in Jobs DMV: Free Trees Edition
Power Moves: Meet Mia Millette, Skyline Technology Solutions’ new CEO
Power Moves: clean.io’s new chief revenue officer brings experience from Millennial Media, Whitebox
Sign-up for daily news updates from Technical.ly Baltimore