(Gif via Giphy.com)
Editor’s note: Every week we ship an email newsletter featuring the region’s most exciting career opportunities. We’ve lovingly called it This Week in Jobs (aka TWIJ — “twidge.”). Below is this week’s edition. Here’s the last one we published; it’s meant to live in your inbox. Sign up for the newsletter here.
The blockbuster trade last week of NBA All-Stars Russell Westbrook and John Wall may have dominated the sports pages and the D.C. basketball-verse, but another player move attracted considerably less notice:
Giant pandas Mei Xiang and Tian Tian agreed to a three-year contract extension with Smithsonian’s National Zoo, with the understanding that they’ll take their talents to China at the end of 2023. Details are sparse, but we assume the agreement included bamboo and eucalyptus performance bonuses.
Here’s to negotiating for what you want.
Venture capital and philanthropy both deal in moving large amounts of money: VC aims to beat the stock market and maximize returns. Philanthropy looks to create positive change. Both hold rocking holiday parties (so we hear). What can the two sectors learn from one another? Austin Clements, managing partner of Slauson & Co., and Alberto Ibargüen, CEO of the Knight Foundation, joined the latest episode of Off the Sidelines, an investor education podcast produced by us at Technical.ly.
Vaccines for COVID-19 seem tantalizing close, but remote work is here to stay through most if not all of 2021. The Fulton-based cloud services firm cloudtamer.io shared its lessons from a disruptive year of remote work, and how it plans to maximize success, resilience, efficiency and employee satisfaction in the year ahead.
A trio of Baltimore tech and innovation orgs are offering youth in Charm City a chance to build solutions that address the challenges presented by the pandemic, and earn money while doing so. A dozen young people on Thursday began COVID SLAM, an entrepreneurial design thinking challenge.
- Collabera is hiring a Junior Software Developer.
- The Washington Post is seeking a Senior Technical Delivery Manager — also an ideal job description for Karl Malone.
- Quantify those grains and greens: CAVA is looking for a Lead Data Engineer. No word whether it comes with pita.
- Summon this job opportunity: Sorcero is hiring an Implementation Engineer.
- The Baltimore City Office of Information and Technology is seeking a System Integration Developer.
- cloudtamer.io in Fulton is looking for a Senior Software Engineer.
- Break out the monogrammed jacket and boat shoes for this one: The Oxford Club is hiring a QA Analyst.
- Make those gainz pop in every dimension: Under Armour in Baltimore is seeking an Analyst, 3D Technology.
- Axios in Arlington is looking for a Director of Engineering.
- Axios is also hiring an Engineering Manager.
- Vitamin T — for “Vitamin Talent,” not Technical.ly — is seeking a Software Engineering Manager.
- Athenian is hiring a Remote Senior Software Engineer Frontend. Unclear if there’s a noncompete with the Spartans.
- General Dynamics UK is seeking a Remote R D Software Developer.
- Better Holdco is looking for a Remote Senior Software Engineer.
If the giant pandas violate the terms of their agreement with Smithsonian, whether with loud parties or bamboo binges, it’s unclear whether they’ll be covered by the District’s ban on evictions during to COVID.
Good luck out there on the job hunt.
Power Moves: TEDCO has a new chief investment officer
This Week in Jobs DMV: Free Trees Edition
Power Moves: Meet Mia Millette, Skyline Technology Solutions’ new CEO
This Week in Jobs DMV: Sweet Tooth Edition
Sign-up for daily news updates from Technical.ly Baltimore