Editor’s note: Every week we ship an email newsletter featuring the region’s most exciting career opportunities. We’ve lovingly called it This Week in Jobs (aka TWIJ — “twidge.”). Below is this week’s edition. Here’s the last one we published; it’s meant to live in your inbox. Sign up for the newsletter here.
For those of you living under a rock (or simply on vacation — good for you), Mei Xiang the great panda (in both senses of the term) gave birth to a cub on Friday.
The pair’s first few nights together have apparently gone well, with the National Zoo’s panda team reporting that “Mei Xiang is being an excellent and attentive mother.” You can judge for yourself via the Panda Cam, where you can watch “Mei Xiang nurse her cub while sitting at the back of the den — often with her knee propped up on the wall — and sleep with it tucked in between her arms.”
I mean, you try writing a cover letter (heck, a newsletter) with this kind of adorable content out there.
Black and brown women entrepreneurs: Black Girl Ventures and social impact incubator SEED SPOT are teaming up to host a virtual two-day Launch Camp. Participants will get training on how to formulate pitches, go through SEED SPOT’s proprietary social impact curriculum, get one-on-one mentorship and receive guidance from content experts on topics from legal to accounting. The Launch Camp is taking place this Thursday and Friday, and applications are still open.
What was it like growing up as a biracial kid in Baltimore — and what’s it like continuing to fight for change now? How can parents best talk with their kids about race and equity? Technical.ly’s own Alex Galiani shared his personal reflections on all these topics — and joined our interview series Technical.ly On the Record to talk about this some more.
College science labs are going virtual: The University System of Maryland’s Kirwan Center for Academic Innovation is partnering with Copenhagen-based Labster to create virtual versions of experiments that, pre-COVID, were normally conducted in-person. Administrators hope the lessons will allow science professors to still teach the “techniques, skills, processes, protocols and underlying theory” — without having to ask students to do their best Jesse Pinkman impression (and perhaps attract the attention of local law enforcement) with at-home chemicals and cookware. We’d still technically consider Dexter’s Laboratory a virtual lab, but good luck convincing a dean to grant it credit.
- Billing and finance platform Ordway is hiring a Sales Solution Engineer — which we assume means tech, not chemical solutions engineered to make people buy stuff.
- CAQH (serious bonus points if you try to pronounce that during the interview) is seeking a Manager for Marketing Analytics.
- Dataminr is looking for a Senior Product Marketing Manager, Public and Private Sector.
- Tahzoo is hiring a Software Architect.
- Fastspot is seeking a PHP Back-End Web Developer. The position is in Baltimore or remote.
- Cloudtamer.io in Fulton is looking for a QA Engineer.
- Abiomed in Baltimore is hiring a Senior Software Engineer. You’ll be working on a new product with Breethe, which is developing a portable artificial lung.
- If you’re bored to tears (hopefully not by this newsletter), the marketing agency Mission, in Baltimore, is seeking a “Bored Front-End Developer” to join its work with “badass clients.”
- Blue Raster in Arlington is hiring a Software Engineer.
- Triblio in Reston is seeking a Software Developer.
- Underline, which works with communities across the U.S. to design, finance, and construct open-access fiber optic networks, is hiring a Senior Front-End Software Engineer. The position is eligible for remote work, or in-person with Underline’s East Bay team in Austin.
- The ecommerce firm Curotec is seeking a Remote Experienced Magento Developer.
- A small startup called Facebook is looking for a Remote Android Software Engineer.
After Mei Xiang’s cub was born at 6:35 p.m., mom “picked the cub up immediately and began cradling and caring for it.” You bosses out there, between these overwhelmingly heartwarming developments and it being mid-August, how about we all agree we just take a break until Labor Day?
Applicants, good luck out there on the job hunt!-30-
Whitebox raises $18M Series B, plans to grow tech and product teams
This Week in Jobs DMV: Wings Edition
Power Moves: b.well taps former Vrbo CTO in tech leadership boost
This Week in Jobs DMV: Washington Sentinels Edition
Sign-up for daily news updates from Technical.ly Baltimore