Editor’s note: Every week we ship an email newsletter featuring the region’s most exciting career opportunities. We’ve lovingly called it This Week in Jobs (aka TWIJ — “twidge.”). Below is this week’s edition. Here’s the last one we published; it’s meant to live in your inbox. Sign up for the newsletter here.
Back in the black
Shielding your legs from skittering rats while sidewalk dining. Getting stuck talking to that friend-of-a-friend who loves to drone on about life on The Hill. Taking that new outfit for a spin on the town, only to spill wine down the front at the first bar.
If you’ve missed the heady days of socializing, D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser says that the District is preparing for phased-in reopenings as soon as Friday. Barring any spikes in cases, this would feature the return of outdoor dining, gatherings of up to 10 people and some retail shopping. It also hopefully means the return of much-needed jobs for the region’s workers — and, perhaps, an eventual return to offices.
You may be longing for an escape from home, but don’t forget about that colleague who microwaves his tuna. If you’re looking for a new, tuna-free workplace, check out the open jobs we’ve featured below.
The pandemic and financial crisis have upended the usual approaches of applying for jobs. But for if you’re looking to break into tech, Flatiron School, Course Report’s #1 ranked coding bootcamp, can help navigate the transition. The school’s senior career coach, Jolie Brown, talked with Technical.ly to share a handful of her job-search tips during COVID-19 — which are just a sample of what you might learn as you “pursue mastery” at Flatiron School.
It was at the University of Pittsburgh where Jonas Salk produced the historic polio vaccine. Now, nearly 70 years later, the university is among the institutions racing to develop a vaccine for COVID-19. “We’re standing on the shoulders of giants, of all the work that came before us,” Dr. Louis Falo said. The story is the first installment in Technical.ly’s reporting series underwritten by the Pittsburgh Innovation District. And if you’re in the area or considering moving to the scenic City of Bridges — an established hotbed of biomedicine and tech — be sure to subscribe to TWIJ Pitt.
Virtually every professional and collegiate sports team is still on hiatus, but sports-hungry fans can still cheer on a local favorite with The Washington Justice. The DMV’s own esports team is blasting its way through The Overwatch League. And while it may have a record of only 3-9, it’s finding novel ways to connect with fans, especially on social media.
- Framebridge is looking for a Senior Product Designer to help customers design “elegant and intuitive UX solutions” to custom picture frames online. The company, based in Georgetown, was recently acquired by Graham Holdings Company, headquartered just across the river in Arlington.
- Nava, which proudly boasts being the only public benefit corporation working directly with the federal government, is hiring a Devops Engineer.
- Mapbox is seeking an Engineering Manager — Maps API, to join the team that builds and maintains the server-side applications responsible for creating and distributing Mapbox maps.
- Feel golden about retrieving this opportunity: VitusVet, a Baltimore startup working to improve the wellbeing of pets, is hiring a Senior Software Engineer.
- Or, if you can think on your paws, VitusVet is also seeking an Agile Business Analyst.
- The Baltimore City Office of Information and Technology is hiring a Senior Cyber Security Engineer
- Firaxis Games, the Baltimore company behind blockbusters like Civilization VI and the XCOM series, is hiring a User Interface Designer.
- For you cloud-gazers: DivvyCloud, which develops cloud security software, is hiring a Senior Technical Support Engineer in Arlington.
- Storyblocks, a subscription-based stock media service that aims to empower the creative community, is hiring a Senior Product Manager (Enterprise) in Arlington.
- If you spend your time thinking more about DDoS attacks than stock images, FireEye, an intelligence-led security-as-a-service, is seeking a Senior Staff UI/Front-End Engineer (React).
- Inversion Limited — so, just shy of 180 degrees? — is hiring a Remote Senior .Net Developer. Let us know if the chairs are attached to the ceiling.
- Scalable Path is seeking a Remote .NET Core Back-End Developer.
- The medical education company Osmosis is looking for a Remote Software Engineer.
While D.C.’s reopening plan will roll out in four phases, citizens should continue wearing masks and maintaining social distancing — but if you’re having trouble measuring that kind of distance, we recommend practicing with stuffed capybaras. Good luck out there on the job hunt!-30-
This Week in Jobs DMV: Healthy Glow Edition
This Week in Jobs: Point and Click Edition
This Week in Jobs: Masked Visitors Edition
5 tips for running a remote internship that helps both the student and the company
Sign-up for daily news updates from Technical.ly Baltimore