Editor’s note: Every week we ship an email newsletter featuring the region’s most exciting career opportunities. We’ve lovingly called it This Week in Jobs (aka TWIJ — “twidge.”). Below is this week’s edition. Here’s the last one we published; it’s meant to live in your inbox. Sign up for the newsletter here.
Sow now, reap later
The weather is getting warmer by the day, and if you’re feeling the itch to get outside and be active, may we suggest starting a garden, as many District-area residents are doing? It’s a great way to disconnect from Internet Life and reconnect with nature, even if it’s just a small corner in your yard or pot on your windowsill.
If you don’t have the space to start your own plot, many community gardens are still open and in need of support while they help provide fresh produce to neighbors in need. DUG — that’s DC Urban Gardeners Network — compiled this helpful list of gardening resources during COVID, and a list of community gardens can be found here.
And if you have the opposite of a green thumb (red pinky toe?), think of your job search as your garden — you’re planting seeds, nourishing them with water and sunlight, and trusting in time to deliver your harvest. So check out the (com)posts below and dig in!
If you missed our Introduced|Virtual conference last Thursday, you’re in luck! All the sessions were recorded and preserved forever, and you can find them collected in this YouTube playlist here. Check out the sessions and hear from local luminaries like Jacob Hsu of Catalyte, Christina Molzen of FiscalNote, Matt Gillis of clean.io and more, and stay tuned for details on future digital events.
Farragut North-based startup Ordway is creating a billing and revenue automation platform, and growing rapidly (see their jobs linked below). We spoke with Director of Product Management Christina Chang to find out what it’s like to work there.
Another new installment of The TWIJ Show addresses the timely topic of quickly changing company strategy — listen in for advice from Dipanwita Das, CEO and founder of Sorcero, and Shana Glenzer, VP of marketing and communications at Diligent.
And in some hopeful news, Maryland’s Novavax has received the largest-ever funding round from Norway’s Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations to move its COVID-19 vaccine candidate forward. The $384 million boost will help the company begin clinical trials this month.
- Hey, remember Ordway? The software startup we mentioned like three paragraphs ago? Well here’s what it’s hiring for:
- Shift Technologies is looking for a Product Manager.
- Planned Systems International seeks a Web Application Developer.
- FiscalNote has an opening for a Software Engineer.
- The Baltimore City Office of Information and Technology needs a few positions filled, including Technical Writer, Microsoft Systems Engineer and more.
- Email messaging and engagement tracking service SparkPost is looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join its Columbia office.
- Health tech startup New Wave Technologies wants a Full Stack Software Developer in Woodlawn.
- Magellan Health in Glen Allen is on a voyage to find a Senior Software Engineer.
- Perfect Sense in Reston seeks a Product Manager.
- PEMDAS is looking for a (deep breath) Remote Experienced Back-End Developer for Large Autonomous Unmanned Aerial Systems (whew).
- Wikifactory has an entry for a Remote Senior Backend Developer.
- VoiceThread is calling out for a Remote Senior Mobile Engineer.
That’s it for this week. Keep watering those seedlings, and good luck on the job hunt!-30-
This Week in Jobs: Poking Our Heads Out Edition
Want to land a job in tech? This career coach from Flatiron School has some pointers
This Week in Jobs: Ghosting Edition
This Week in Jobs: Special Delivery Edition
Sign-up for daily news updates from Technical.ly Baltimore