Editor’s note: Every week we ship an email newsletter featuring the region’s most exciting career opportunities. We’ve lovingly called it This Week in Jobs (aka TWIJ — “twidge.”). Below is this week’s edition. Here’s the last one we published; it’s meant to live in your inbox. Sign up for the newsletter here.
Stacks on Stacks on Stacks
You may love supporting your local bookstore — or better yet, your local library — but nothing beats the convenience of Amazon. Now there’s Bookshop.org, a startup that’s aiming to support brick-and-mortar indie bookshops by splitting the proceeds from online sales with participating stores. The site’s still in beta, but it features a counter tracking the amount it’s raised so far for local booksellers. That’s the sort of paper-chase we can get behind.
Maybe Gretel should’ve just left Hansel behind. The women-led GingerBread Capital fund helps female-founded startups run, run, run as fast as they can through the execution and growth stages. Partners Linnea Roberts and Ita Ekpoudom not only fill a gap often overlooked by larger financial institutions, but also provide mentorship, education and networking — cultivating an entire ecosystem for women entrepreneurs. The pair spoke with “Off the Sidelines,” the investor education podcast produced by us at Technical.ly in partnership with Project Entrepreneur, a program by UBS.
Spit-shine your resume and head to the two top tech networking events in the DMV: NET/WORK. Coming next month to Baltimore and D.C., you’ll get to meet vibrant companies seeking talent — and, if you’re hiring, talented people seeking work. So, if you’re looking for full-time work in roles like front-end, back-end, design, engineering and UX/UI, if you’re a recent grad, if you’re seeking freelance gigs or putting out feelers, if you want to learn from seasoned developers and engineers, or if you’re simply looking to network, sign up now with promo code “TWIJ” for 25% off.
You may wear your heart on your sleeve, but the BurnAlong app can read its vitals — heart rate, oxygen levels and respiratory rate — simply by snapping a photo of your face. The Pikesvile-based startup hopes the app will help people improve their workouts without having to buy a heart rate monitor. It’s also yet another opportunity for us at TWIJ to be told that our faces are alarming.
One of Us, One of Us
Technically Media, the news, jobs and events organization best known for its local tech news network Technical.ly — not to mention, ahem, this newsletter — is seeking reporters for a yearlong project to report feature stories on economic change in Pittsburgh. This project aims to explore the tech and innovation ecosystem in Pittsburgh and the surrounding region, including employer and hiring trends. If that sounds like fun to you, check out the opportunity.
- A scrappy little startup called Facebook is hiring a Software Engineer.
- Tetra Tech is hiring a Software Developer, specifically a Java Developer, to provide IT application programming support.
- BlueWater Federal Solutions is seeking a Software Engineer to focus on a wide range of IT services through migration to Intelligence Community information sharing.
- CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield IsLooking ForA SoftwareEngineer.
- ECS is hiring a Software Engineer to join its Silver Spring office.
- RADA Technologies in Germantown is seeking a Software Engineer. The ideal candidate is someone with three to five years of experience in C/C++/C# and automated unit testing.
- The Goal, providing “IT consulting on a new level,” is looking for a Software Developer in Hyattsville.
- Spaaace: Intelsat in McLean is hiring a Software Engineer to help drive the software development lifecycle.
- TechFlow in Herndon is seeking a Software Web Developer who both enjoys working collaboratively and brings an entrepreneurial spirit.
- Accenture Federal Services in Chantilly is looking for a Software Developer.
- Here’s an opportunity to get hitched: TrailerCentral, an established SaaS for trailer dealers, is hiring a Remote Senior Php Dev/Scrum Master.
- ThreatConnect, which arms organizations with a powerful defense against cyber threats, is seeking a Remote DevOps Engineer.
- Unanet is looking for a Senior Mobile Product Manager.
Here are just a few more reasons NET/WORK is awesome: Suits and ties are optional, there will be an after-party with beer and snacks, and — duh — there’s going to be bunch of local and regional tech companies ready to hire and tons of low-pressure networking opportunities, plus a photographer to take your new headshot and resume reviewers. And, we promise, no face scanners to tell you your heart rate. Hope to see you there!-30-
This Week in Jobs DMV: Healthy Glow Edition
This Week in Jobs: Point and Click Edition
This Week in Jobs: Masked Visitors Edition
5 tips for running a remote internship that helps both the student and the company
Sign-up for daily news updates from Technical.ly Baltimore