Editor’s note: Every week we ship an email newsletter featuring the region’s most exciting career opportunities. We’ve lovingly called it This Week in Jobs (aka TWIJ — “twidge.”). Below is this week’s edition. Here’s the last one we published; it’s meant to live in your inbox. Sign up for the newsletter here.
Favorite movies, religion, family issues, hygiene — and now, apparently, climate change.
Global warming is the new hot topic — and, apparently, frequent deal-breaker — on the millennial and Gen Z dating scene. OkCupid reports that mentions of climate change and environment-related terms on the dating site have soared 240% in the past two years, according to the climate-related newsletter Heated. Greta Thunberg’s stock, in particular, is on the rise: “There was actually an 800 percent increase in mentions of Greta Thunberg on profiles around the world on OkCupid in 2019,” an OkCupid spokesman said.
We’ll just go ahead and assume we shouldn’t talk about global warming during a job interview either. Speaking of which, read on for what’s hot on the job scene this week, friends.
In the clubby world of venture capital, just 2% of its finance professionals are black. Henri Pierre-Jacques, a co-founder of Harlem Capital, launched his firm to help change those figures — and start funding the types of minority- and women-owned businesses so often overlooked and shut out of the VC world. Through the next 20 years, Pierre-Jacques and his colleagues plan to invest in 1,000 diverse founders. He sat down with Off the Sidelines to talk about this work, its challenges and its promise.
Save the date: NET/WORK, the Super Bowl of job fairs, returns to Baltimore and D.C. next month. On March 4 at The Assembly Room in Baltimore and on March 24 at The Yard in D.C., mingle and network with dozens of tech hiring organizations, plus more than 200 technologists and tech-adjacent professionals. Each event is the biggest celebration of tech jobs in the region; tech and industry leaders, current employees, recent grads, and those eager for career growth in software development, design, engineering, UX, marketing and more are all invited.
There’s a new plow king of Baltimore County. The county this month launched a Storm Route Status Map, featuring a color-coded guide to road salt and plow conditions. It’s the latest example of the government using digital tools to get plow info out to the public: Last year, the State Highway Administration released an app called STORM which offers the ability to enter an address and see where the snow removal vehicles are operating in the state.
- Join the engineering team that builds and supports one of the most widely read news sites in the world. The Washington Post is hiring a Software Engineer. You’ll spend 75% of your time writing code and the other 25% getting feedback from the newsroom.
- Social Tables is hiring a Lead Software Engineer to help guide, coach, mentor and develop two team leads’ technical and leadership skills.
- Fast Enterprises, which apparently prefers to call its employees “FASTies,” is hiring a Software Engineer.
- Orbital Insight, which is using satellite imagery to understand what is happening on and to the Earth, is seeking a Senior Software Engineer to join its Public Sector team.
- PropertyRoom.com, an eCommerce auction services company in Frederick County that’s the “undisputed market leader in online police auctions,” is hiring a Software Engineer. There are advantages to buying blue.
- ERT, Inc. in Bethesda is seeking a Software Engineer to perform mostly back-end development in support of NOAA’s National Weather Service.
- ManTech in Bethesda is hiring a Mobile Software Engineer.
- TEKsystems in Arlington is hiring a Software Engineer to help design and implement cloud integrations, automation, and custom applications.
- DivvyCloud in Arlington seeks a Software Engineer with experience in Python.
- Parsons Corporation in Centreville needs a Software Engineer (C++).
- Railroad19 is hiring a Cloud-Native Java Developer that is fluent in both Java 8 and Spring Boot.
- LoadSpring Solutions is hiring a Remote Software Engineer.
- Prime Insurance is seeking a Remote Mid-Senior Microsoft Developer. Team experience is a plus; you’ll be working with a distributed team and helping establish a remote-first culture.
Reduce, reuse, and recycle — except, that is, with pick-up lines. Good luck out there on the job hunt!-30-
Power Moves: b.well taps former Vrbo CTO in tech leadership boost
This Week in Jobs DMV: Washington Sentinels Edition
Amazon says it is hiring for 4,400 new jobs in Maryland
This Week in Jobs DMV: Bar Rescue Edition
Sign-up for daily news updates from Technical.ly Baltimore