Wanted: Dead or … Dead
Round up your friends and grab your fishing poles: State officials have issued a rare kill-on-sight order for an invasive fish wreaking havoc on East Coast ecosystems.
Last week, Georgia became the latest state, along with 14 others, including Maryland, to encourage residents to make like Al Pacino and Robert DeNiro, and to not hesitate, not for a second to take out the snakehead fish. The creature can breathe dry air and survive for days on land.
It’s not clear how exactly the snakehead has made its way into so many states, but TWIJ, for one, welcomes its new snakehead overlords.
If you love buying paper towels, vacuum cleaners, iPhone chargers, thank you cards and ankle socks at the same time, know that Amazon is opening an 8,000-square-foot brick-and-mortar store in Northwest D.C. Why immediately find what you’re looking for online when you can instead wander the aisles aimlessly, bumping carts with fellow shoppers, browsing the latest chewing gum selections and watching couples argue over desk lamps? Hey, maybe Blockbuster will make a comeback.
It’s a bird, it’s a plane, it’s a … kidney? This spring, the unmanned aerial delivery of a human kidney over Baltimore, launched by the University of Maryland School of Medicine, won Technical.ly’s Invention of the Year at the Technical.ly Awards, closing out Baltimore Innovation Week’s Dev Day last week. The awards were presented across six categories, including Impact Leader of the Year and Growth Company of the Year.
- If you’re familiar with mortgage markets, Fannie Mae is hiring a Business Analyst III to work with business teams in funding accounting.
- Microsoft is seeking a Cloud Solution Architect Manager. Candidates should have at least 10 years of experience in technical delivery, engineering or consultative services, seven-plus years in people management or leadership, and at least seven years of experience “driving change management” or technical adoption.
- The Washington Post is looking for an iOS Engineer.
- Nava is hiring an Experienced Software Engineer – Backend.
- ThinkNimble, which boasts a “minimum paid vacation policy,” is hiring a Junior Software Developer. This job requires you to take four weeks off annually. The position is also available in Richmond, Virginia.
- SmartLogic, a web and mobile product development consultancy in Baltimore, is seeking an Operations Manager.
- SmartLogic is also hiring a Sales and Software Engineer.
- For those “who love to code,” Asymmetrik in Annapolis Junction is looking for a Software Engineer.
- If you prefer building web apps, creative user interfaces and building interactive data visualizations, Asymmetrik is also seeking a Front End Developer.
- If you consider yourself a “software craftsman” — or craftswoman or craftsperson — Excivity in Chantilly is hiring a Software Engineer.
- If mobile is more your thing, Excitivity is also looking for an Android Software Engineer.
- INADEV in McLean is seeking a .NET Developer with Angular. You’ll be working with federal agencies, so U.S. citizenship with the ability to obtain a Public Trust Security clearance is required.
- That ThinkNimble Junior Software Developer position — the one where employees absolutely must take at least a month off from work — is also available in Richmond, in addition to D.C.
- For those who know Django and React, Designlab is hiring a Remote Senior Full Stack Developer to help improve and expand its rapidly growing online education platform.
- Integrated Rental, which is building innovative, “best-in-breed” software for the heavy equipment rental industry, is seeking a Remote Junior Developer.
- CompanyCam, which has set out “to build the most kickass camera app and cloud photo storage service for contractors,” is looking for a Remote Full Stack Software Engineer.
Pass the time browsing TWIJ while you make like angler Ray Scott, and keep your eye out for those snakeheads.
We hope you have as much luck snagging jobs as our anglers do protecting America from deathless invasive land-fish.-30-
This Week in Jobs: Love Shack Edition
Tech job fair NET/WORK Baltimore comes to The Assembly Room on March 4
Power Moves: Patrick T. McQuown will lead entrepreneurship at Towson University
Technology is ever evolving — shouldn’t business education be, too?
10 inspiring quotes on tech careers, culture and innovation from ‘5 Questions’
This Week in Jobs: Stocking Stuffer Edition
This Week in Jobs: Cuffing Season Edition
How independence fuels confidence and professional development at SmartLogic
Sign-up for daily news updates from Technical.ly Baltimore