Editor’s note: Every week we ship an email newsletter featuring the region’s most exciting career opportunities. We’ve lovingly called it This Week in Jobs (aka TWIJ — “twidge.”). Below is this week’s edition. Here’s the last one we published; it’s meant to live in your inbox. Sign up for the newsletter here.
The No List
Believe us when we say it’s time to give “Don’t Stop Believin’” a rest — really, please. Washington City Paper went deep this week with the District’s karaoke bar bartenders, who — having endured what is all too often the musically unendurable — gave their unfettered advice for any aspiring Tuesday night tunesmith.
Among the don’ts: Spare your groupies from “Wagon Wheel,” “Freebird,” “Coming to America,” “Bohemian Rhapsody” and that nine-minute gloomfest “American Pie.” (Also, there are some sociopaths out there who think Sarah McLachlan’s “Angel” is a party anthem? Don’t do that, either.)
Stay with the times: R. Kelly is out, Robyn is very much in — and once you get up there, think of TWIJ and sing your heart out.
Better leave those nunchucks at home. Oriole Park at Camden Yards is set next year to become the first baseball stadium to test an AI-powered weapons-detection system. Called Hexwave, it’ll zap people with a low-powered radar to create real-time 3D images of what they’re carrying. Those images will then be analyzed by artificial intelligence, neural networks and flesh-and-blood security guards. Hey, as long as it doesn’t repeat Mark Wahlberg’s run-in with Derek Jeter, we’ll call that a win — and the Orioles need every win they can get.
Miss our Super Meetup in D.C. this year? From the District’s new CTO to an analyst working with geospatial satellites, you can still check out some of the technologists who made the event a blow-out success. There’s Renée Taylor, cofounder of Operation A.R.T.S., which helps artists learn make a living with their crafts by connecting them with local businesses looking to hire creatives. And Sharif Merritt, founder and CEO of Reveal, a SaaS startup creating a platform for small businesses to deploy AR experiences. Read up on all these great tech leaders, plus the meetup groups in attendance, here.
- Nava is hiring an Experienced Software Engineer – Backend. If you’ve had enough of D.C., the position is also available in New York City and San Francisco.
- For you cruise directors out there — always organizing your friends’ parties and get-togethers — Social Tables, an event management platform, is hiring a Senior Associate, Content Marketing, to develop everything from articles to ebooks. Be prepared to work those SEO skills.
- Social Tables is also hiring a Senior Product Manager.
- VectorWorks is hiring a Rendering Engineer (OpenGL, Vulcan, C++) in Columbia.
- If you like working with teams, 14 West in Baltimore is seeking a Senior Business Analyst to help with all phases of the software development cycle.
- SmartLogic in Baltimore is looking for an Operations Manager.
- Castle Hill Gaming in Charlottesville is hiring a Game Design Mathematician to help with new game design and create fun and exciting math models.
- MajorClarity, which works with K-12 schools to expand students’ job and career opportunities, is looking for a Sales Development Rep in Richmond to help the company partner with as many schools and students as possible.
- Jacobs Engineering Group is seeking a C# Developer.
- Clipboard Health is looking for a Remote Fulll Stack Software Engineer.
- Ockam is seeking a seasoned Storage and Database Design Architect.
- ReCharge Payments is hiring a Remote API Software Engineer Python.
This is where we’d drop the mic, but the karaoke bartenders say don’t do that — it damages the hardware. So, this is us putting the mic respectfully back on the stand. Good luck on the job hunt!-30-
This Week in Jobs: Cuffing Season Edition
This Week in Jobs: Going Up Edition
This Week in Jobs: Thanksgiving Prep Edition
How independence fuels confidence and professional development at SmartLogic
On the Market: What a chief of staff will do at SmartLogic
Antenna systems company wants to bring 100 jobs to the Eastern Shore
Power Moves: Mike Kocorowski joins fast-growing Whitebox as CFO
How this lawyer is helping entrepreneurs bark up the right tree
Sign-up for daily news updates from Technical.ly Baltimore