Editor’s note: Every week we ship an email newsletter featuring the region’s most exciting career opportunities. We’ve lovingly called it This Week in Jobs (aka TWIJ — “twidge.”). Below is this week’s edition. Here’s the last one we published; it’s meant to live in your inbox. Sign up for the newsletter here.
We hope you took advantage of the holiday weekend to not only rest, grill and relax, but to also remember the many who lost their lives fighting for our country.
Also, how on earth is it already Memorial Day? We blinked and now we are basically halfway through the year. No complaints though, because warmer weather, flowers in full bloom and the hot job market will def inspire you to level up for the second half of 2019.
Speaking of “level up,” this time of year also starts rooftop season. With the new DC Wharf in full operation, there are tons of outdoor spaces to check out around the area. Here is a list of cool rooftops and patios that have great views, good food and even strong WiFi. Some are open early enough so that you can enjoy a slightly higher altitude while applying for jobs. Our top pick? The rooftop at the new International Spy Museum.
May is Accessibility Month and Byte Back Communications Director Yvette Scorse discusses how our community can ensure that digital technology is inclusive for everyone. With D.C. having the highest digital gap in the country, this is a major issue to overcome.
The Maryland Department of Commerce has launched a new database to increase the pipeline between the community and federal agencies. The database, STEMConnect, is a resource for students of all ages to connect with government internships, apprenticeships and other educational opportunities. The Maryland Chamber of Commerce is also hiring; check out this opening for a Marketing & Communications Manager.
We spoke with some of D.C.’s fastest growing companies on their methods for attracting talent, but it’s also a great way for you to get some intel on how these companies think. This is definitely one for your notes, as you read how meetups, referrals and incentives can work in your favor.
Now is a good time to learn how to ride those scooters around the city. Lime has a really cool rideshare program for scooters, and yep, job openings too, including this position for Mid-Atlantic GM right here in D.C.
- Alley is looking for a lively General Manager to become the face of its growing collection of labs and coworking spaces.
- NAVA is hiring an experienced web-based Backend Software Engineer.
- Vectorworks seeks a Python Developer with 3+ years of experience.
- The Washington Post is looking for a Full Stack Developer.
- SmartLogic is looking for a Product Designer with strong UI and UX skills.
- If you are a beast in Java with 5+ years experience, check out this Sr. Software Engineering job with 14 West.
- 14 West is also looking for a DevOps Architect.
- Walmart Labs is looking for a Data Scientist to join its team in Reston.
- Mobile app and gaming tech company TMSOFT is hiring a Sr. App Developer.
- Contrast Security is hiring a Java Developer.
- Roger is looking for a Software Engineer to lead its API efforts.
- If you have a strong design background, check out this opening for a UI UX Developer at Twenty Over Ten.
This may have been a short week for many of you, but we hope that somewhere in between beaches, grills and rosé you were able to keep your mind on the next steps in your career. This week’s TWIJ should give you a boost, but if you want to go deeper in your search, our jobs page is always available. Until next time, stay winning!-30-
Lyft is providing rides to job training, interviews
This Week in Jobs: Here Fishy, Fishy Edition
Power Moves: Leadership hires at Medifast, Protenus and R2i
Get to know SmartLogic’s culture of plants, podcasts and productive client relationships
Catalyte launched a platform to help companies change how they add tech talent
This Week in Jobs: For the Birds Edition
This Week in Jobs: Intergalactic Edition
Entrepreneurs, think it’s too early to engage a legal partner? It’s not.
Sign-up for daily news updates from Technical.ly Baltimore