(Photo by Stephen Babcock)
Beta City returns to City Garage in Port Covington on Thursday, October 4, for a celebration of the city’s startup community. Organizers at Betamore announced the companies who will pitch a panel of judges prior to the main event. Starting at 3 p.m., the startups will present to judges with an eye toward a $25,000 award, courtesy Brown Advisory.
“Brown Advisory and NextGen Venture Partners are pleased to once again support – and reward – some of the hardest-working and most innovative entrepreneurs in Baltimore. Institutional capital, networks and advice are critical elements of a thriving entrepreneurial ecosystem – we hope that Brown Advisory and NextGen Venture Partners can provide and improve upon our collective ability to provide all three,” Jacob Hodes, Head of Private Equity at Brown Advisory, said in a statement.
The six finalist companies were chosen from a pool of 100 applicants, and are getting some prep in before the event.
— Betamore (@betamore) September 28, 2018
Here are the local startups that will pitch:
- Avidea Technologies, a biotech company using proprietary nano-scaffold technology to rationally engineer safer and more effective vaccines for cancer treatment and infectious disease prevention.
- Femly, which manufactures and delivers organic feminine care products and more in a monthly subscription box.
- Galen Robotics, a medical device company working to commercialize a JHU-developed microsurgery robot, which aims to assist surgeons in minimally-invasive applications.
- Hunt A Killer, offering immersive storytelling of murder mysteries through monthly episodic deliveries of physical items and correspondence.
- Sisu Global Health, a medical device startup that created the Hemafuse, a handheld blood autotransfusion device currently being marketed in Africa.
- Zest Tea, maker of high-caffeine tea products that are designed as an alternative to coffee.
Inside the tech and community collaborations that drove 4 grassroots pandemic responses in Baltimore
Here’s your primer for BIW’s 2020 Innovation Celebration
BIW is going virtual in 2020. The Innovation Celebration is Oct. 9
Here’s where to find Baltimore at Philly Tech Week 2020
Sign-up for daily news updates from Technical.ly Baltimore