(Photo by Stephen Babcock)
Beta City returns to City Garage in Port Covington on Thursday, October 4, for a celebration of the city’s startup community. Organizers at Betamore announced the companies who will pitch a panel of judges prior to the main event. Starting at 3 p.m., the startups will present to judges with an eye toward a $25,000 award, courtesy Brown Advisory.
“Brown Advisory and NextGen Venture Partners are pleased to once again support – and reward – some of the hardest-working and most innovative entrepreneurs in Baltimore. Institutional capital, networks and advice are critical elements of a thriving entrepreneurial ecosystem – we hope that Brown Advisory and NextGen Venture Partners can provide and improve upon our collective ability to provide all three,” Jacob Hodes, Head of Private Equity at Brown Advisory, said in a statement.
The six finalist companies were chosen from a pool of 100 applicants, and are getting some prep in before the event.
— Betamore (@betamore) September 28, 2018
Here are the local startups that will pitch:
- Avidea Technologies, a biotech company using proprietary nano-scaffold technology to rationally engineer safer and more effective vaccines for cancer treatment and infectious disease prevention.
- Femly, which manufactures and delivers organic feminine care products and more in a monthly subscription box.
- Galen Robotics, a medical device company working to commercialize a JHU-developed microsurgery robot, which aims to assist surgeons in minimally-invasive applications.
- Hunt A Killer, offering immersive storytelling of murder mysteries through monthly episodic deliveries of physical items and correspondence.
- Sisu Global Health, a medical device startup that created the Hemafuse, a handheld blood autotransfusion device currently being marketed in Africa.
- Zest Tea, maker of high-caffeine tea products that are designed as an alternative to coffee.
Super Meetup is happening at R. House on Thursday, Aug. 8
Baltimore Innovation Week, the annual celebration of tech and entrepreneurship, is returning for its 8th year
What’s your stack? Tell us for Tech Stacks Month
Building a data acquisition system? Don’t make this mistake
How do you turn a network of connections into meaningful relationships?
Brilliant Baltimore: Here’s an early look at the combined Light City and Baltimore Book Festival
Y in Central Maryland, Google team up for ‘Be Internet Awesome’ workshops for parents
How SmartLogic accelerated these startups’ product growth trajectories
Sign-up for daily news updates from Technical.ly Baltimore