1 in 3 poor households have broadband access [INFOGRAPHIC] - Technical.ly Baltimore

Access

Apr. 4, 2013 8:30 am

1 in 3 poor households have broadband access [INFOGRAPHIC]

Roughly one in three households in the U.S. earning less than $25,000 each year have broadband Internet access, according to this infographic from Online Degree Programs titled “The Internet Access Gap in Education.” View the infographic here. Or from Online Degree Programs here. And, as it turns out, in Baltimore, 35 percent of households earn less […]

Roughly one in three households in the U.S. earning less than $25,000 each year have broadband Internet access, according to this infographic from Online Degree Programs titled “The Internet Access Gap in Education.”

View the infographic here. Or from Online Degree Programs here.

And, as it turns out, in Baltimore, 35 percent of households earn less than $25,000 each year, according to Vital Signs 10 data from the Baltimore Neighborhood Indicators Alliance (See page 4).

As Technically Baltimore has previously reported, lack of quality, affordable broadband access is a contentious issue for cities without municipal-owned broadband networks, including Baltimore.

Yet mere availability of broadband divorced from real-world educational outcomes achieves nothing more than the “shiny object” effect: having something available without a corresponding curricular program. As Shelly Blake-Plock, co-executive director of the Digital Harbor Foundation said at the opening of the Digital Harbor Tech Center in January, the goal of technology in the classroom is to link the “way we educate our kids to the way we innovate our ideas.”

Furthermore, it’s tempting to view that 35 percent number in a wholly negative light, and marvel at the remaining 65 percent of households making less than $25,000 that purportedly lack broadband access.

Of course, as recent Pew Research Center data indicates, such a vision is simplistic. Smartphones, more ubiquitous than ever before, are increasingly the way in which more sizable segments of the U.S. population access the Internet.

Advertisement

-30-
JOIN THE COMMUNITY, BECOME A MEMBER
Already a member? Sign in here
Connect with companies from the Technical.ly community
New call-to-action

Advertisement

Learning to code? These Baltimore orgs offer a place to start (and build) experience

Tech education program P-TECH puts IBM inside this West Baltimore school

With partnership, Morgan State is bringing open content platform to campus

SPONSORED

Baltimore

How law firm Nemphos Braue is guiding startups along the new business learning curve

Baltimore, MD 21201

14 West

Junior Database Administrator

Apply Now
Baltimore, MD

SmartLogic

Account Executive (Baltimore)

Apply Now
Baltimore

SchoolDuels

Vice President of Business Development

Apply Now

Why Wash and Learn is providing tech access at Baltimore laundromats

These Baltimore students learned Python and put it to work at the city’s Department of General Services

It’s the process, not the product: Baltimore City students present prototypes at symposium, innovation showcase

SPONSORED

Baltimore

Building a data acquisition system? Don’t make this mistake

Baltimore

emocha Mobile Health

Software Engineer

Apply Now
Baltimore

RackTop Systems

API Guru

Apply Now
Baltimore

Osmosis

Front End Developer

Apply Now

Sign-up for daily news updates from Technical.ly Baltimore

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!