Here’s an opportunity for volunteers on-the-go. The Philadelphia Youth Network recently launched Project Mastery, a program in which volunteers help students with their writing all through a digital portal.
Volunteers don’t have to meet with students. Students submit work to their tutors through the portal, and tutors send back comments the same way. That way, says Volunteer Associate Stephanie Strockis, volunteers can work on their own schedule.
Sign up to volunteer here. There’s no deadline since it’s based on six-week sessions. See the schedule below to see the different focus areas.
- Unit 1 (September to October): Argumentation and informed opinions
- Unit 2 (November to December): Dystopian writing in fiction and short film making
- Unit 3 (January to February): Suspense narratives in fiction and scriptwriting
- Unit 4 (March to April): Science narratives in journalism and creative nonfiction
- Unit 5 (May to June): Visual art as means to social change