Every Thursday morning at 8:30 a.m. EST, find all the stories you need to know about your friendly telecommunications giant in the Comcast Roundup. Get an email subscription for our weekly Comcast roundup or other news updates.
- Appeal could delay resolution of class action against Comcast [Philadelphia Inquirer] “Comcast Corp. reached a “tentative settlement” in early June with lawyers representing about two million Philadelphia-area Comcast cable-TV customers in a $875 million class-action lawsuit. But Comcast says the deal was not final and has declined to follow it because two weeks later the U.S. Supreme Court agreed to hear an appeal of the case.”
- yap.TV snags former NBC/Comcast VP Todd Brown to help expand its second screen TV platforms globally [TheNextWeb] One of yap.TV’s competitors is Zeebox, a U.K-based startup with which Comcast will be partnering.
- Comcast Said Near U.S. Approval to Encrypt Basic-Cable Signals [Bloomberg]
- Comcast Avoids FCC Order on Tennis Channel Pending Appeal [Bloomberg BusinessWeek] “A three-judge panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals in Washington today granted Comcast’s request that the order be put on hold until the court decides whether to overturn the agency’s ruling that the largest U.S. cable operator said may cost it hundreds of millions of dollars.”
- Comcast moderates its annual cable TV rate hike, but the cost of Internet access is rising faster [The Oregonian]
- Comcast reveals plan for Virginia Beach arena to lure NBA’s Sacramento Kings [Philly.com] “Comcast-Spectacor would lease and manage a new arena here should an NBA or NHL franchise move to Virginia’s largest city. On Tuesday, Comcast-Spectacor officials went before the Virginia Beach City Council to propose that the Philadelphia-based company run the arena for 25 years.”
- Comcast donates backpacks, spotlights Internet program in New Haven [New Haven Register] Comcast continues its hyper-local push for its low-cost Internet program.
- Fan Box: Comcast agrees to pick up new international sports network [PennLive]
- Comcast unveils blueprint for network DVR in patent application [Fierce Cable]