These 10 entrepreneurs are the cream of the crop when it comes to developing exciting new products to make life easier for women and families.
This according to the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA), which named the finalists in its 2016 InnovateHER: Innovating for Women Business Challenge on Thursday. The finalists include everything from creators of underwear for those who have difficulty dressing to new tools for diagnosing early-stage breast cancer.
The 10 finalists were selected through a nationwide process of pitch competitions and business plan review that began in October 2015. After two local rounds, “the OpenTable for kids activities” — Activity Rocket — was sent on to represent the DMV area at the national semifinals.
While Activity Rocket did not make the final cut, the challenge is coming back to the District — a final pitch competition will be held here in March during the SBA’s InnovateHER summit. The finalists will compete for a total of $70,000 in prizes.
Here’s the full list of finalists:
- Dr. Agnes Scoville for Pacidose.
- Anna Daily for Melody — a new diagnostic for early-stage breast cancer.
- Jennifer Shipp for Knife Glider.
- Sascha Mayer for Mamava.
- Marissa Siebel-Siero for Tinker — “the first ever 3D product configurator in the wheelchair marketplace.”
- Susan Leary Shoemaker for Undercare.
- Cassandra Curtis for Once Upon a Farm — “quality, eco-friendly and nutritious baby food products.”
- Dr. Pu Wang for MarginPAT.
- Dawn Dickson for Flat out of Heels.
- Elizabeth Caven for UpCraft Club.